While it’s true that your skill will always determine your output, it wouldn’t hurt if you have great gear to work with. They can promise effectiveness and efficiency, making them really handy to have. This is particularly true for tattoo artists as the best tattoo gun can significantly improve the way they work.
If you’re looking for one as well, read on as we’ll discuss in detail the quality tattoo machines available today and how to choose the best tattoo machines to use for various purposes.
10 Best Tattoo Machines
To give you a good idea about what the best tattoo machines are and what you can expect from them, here are 10 of our top picks that you can start your search with:
1. FK Irons- Best Color Packer Tattoo Gun Kit
FK Irons is one of the most popular and highly coveted tattoo machine brands in the market today. With their products’ innovation, quality, and tested performance, they have captured a significant portion of the professional tattoo market. This isn’t surprising, really, when the man behind the brand, Gaston Siciliano, is both a design engineer and a beginner tattoo artist.
The Spektra Direkt 2 is a great testament to the brand’s innovation, quality, and performance. This rotary machine is made to address the many inconveniences of the traditional rotary and other coil machines.
Its biggest charm? It’s designed for fuss-free use. It doesn’t require any lubrication and can work with any standard cartridge or needle so you don’t really need to do much to use it properly or to keep it in top shape.
2. Solong Complete Tattoo Kit – Best Cosmetic Tattoo Gun for Beginners
In our opinion, the best type of tattoo gun should be easy to use and comes in a set that includes everything one needs to get started in the craft. This is why we also chose the Solong complete Tattoo Kit. This coil machine set is versatile and a convenient option, so it can really be a great match for many beginner tattoo artist.
One of the most notable things about this complete tattoo kit is that it features a versatile coil machine. Coil machines are usually designed for specific purposes only so this is a bit surprising. However, the 10- wrap coils design of this item allows it to be capable of lining and shading so you don’t have to switch from one device to another anymore.
Since this item is a set product, it also comes with everything you will need to start tattooing. Unlike other kits, however, it also comes with the most overlooked accessory, a pair of disposable gloves. So upon getting this set, you can really get started on tattooing right away.
3. Dragonhawk Complete Tattoo Kit- best budget tattoo gun
If you’d prefer to get the best lining and shading tattoo machine gun starter kits, the Dragonhawk Tattoo Kit is something you should check out. This product comes with nearly everything you need to start tattooing right away so it can certainly be a great choice for many who just want a complete tattoo kit to practice with.
The set comes with 4 coil guns with different functionalities. One is for conventional lining, one for power lining, one for color packing, and one for soft shading. These can already be all you need to complete a design, so with just these four, you’re already set.
But these coil machines are not all you’ll get from this Dragonhawk product. You’ll also get other necessities like a digital power supply, foot pedal, adjustment tools, carry case, practice skin, and attachments like grips and needles. You’ll also get a set of Immortal tattoo Ink which is made in the USA, so you can count on their quality and performance.
4. YILONG ‘L’ Rotary Machine – best quality tattoo gun
One look at the Yilong L Rotary Tattoo Machine and you’ll already know that it offers a whole different tattoo experience for you. Why? The L-shape, pen-style design combines the easy wielding of a pen without making you feel too odd that you’re not balancing some weight on top of the needle. So if you’re used to a regular rotary or coil machine, using this device won’t feel so alien even if it’s easier to handle due to its pen-like feel.
Its design also makes it a solid choice for beginners since it’s easy to handle. Unlike actual tattoo pens, transitioning to other types of tattoo machines won’t be too hard to do if you get started with this. If you also take into consideration its other qualities like its performance and price, it can also be deemed as a worthy investment for those who just want to try out tattooing.
In short, with its design and performance, this L Rotary Tattoo Machine from Yilong can be a solid all-rounder that will suit everyone’s needs. Some might even find it the best liner tattoo gun starter kit because of these reasons.
5. Dragonhawk Extreme- best rotary tattoo gun
With the brand known for its amazing affordable rotary machine, it shouldn’t be too surprising to find the Dragonhawk Extreme Rotary Tattoo Machine on this list. It’s one of the best tattoo machines for the money they offer, so you shouldn’t miss out on it.
Among the many things that assemble it great is its build. This product is constructed with quality and performance in mind, so you can be sure that it will help you get great results. Its features are also quite impressive, so combined with its very friendly price tag, we count it as a steal.
If you’re worried about its performance, you don’t have to. This device delivers great results, making full use of its promising features.
6. Redscorpion Cast Iron- best starter tattoo gun
Looking for a reliable liner? The Redscorpion Cast Iron Liner Coil Tattoo Gun might be your perfect match. This classic-style, affordable pick has proven itself to be a reliable addition to many professional tattoo artists arsenals, so it can also be a good tool for you.
What makes it worth looking into? For starters, it’s a little cast iron device so it’s a sturdy and durable pick. If you’re after something that you can use and abuse, this can be a solid option quite literally.
Its choice of materials also make sure guarantees high electric and magnetic conductivity. This greatly boosts the performance of the device, ensuring a smooth run.
7. Dragonhawk Essence- Best Tattoo Pen Machine
Pen-style tattoo rotary machines are aggressively carving a spot for themselves in the industry. Why not when they handle so well, making them highly preferable over other more cumbersome tools? This is why we’ve also included the Dragonhawk Essence Tattoo Pen Rotary Tattoo Machine to our list as it’s proving to be an amazing option that everyone should know about.
Being a tattoo pen, the first advantage you can expect from this device is its fuss-free handling. It’s designed to mimic the feel of an actual pen, just a bit chunkier. As a result, you can have better control over the device which is always great if you’re a beginner. It can help turn learning how to use a tattoo machine simpler for beginners tattoo artist.
Another reason why you should give this product a shot is its price tag. It’s a one of the best rated tattoo guns option for a tattoo pen and with its reliable performance, it will give you great value for your money.
Buyers Guide: Basics for Your Best Tattoo Gun Search
To help you further in your search for the best tattoo machine in the world, we’ve rounded up a few more topics that you might want to learn the basics about.
What is the best way to clean your tattoo machines?
How do you do this effectively? Here are the basic steps:
1. Remove the tube, needle, grip, and cartridge from the tattoo machine. Place them in a disinfecting solution and let it soak there for a while. Some solutions have specific instructions on how long to soak the removable parts so you can follow those details.
2. Spray the body of your tattoo machine with your choice of cleaning solution. Let it sit for the recommended amount of time by the manufacturer then wipe it off using a clean paper towel.
3. Spray some rubbing alcohol on the body of your tattoo machine then wipe it down thoroughly again with a paper towel.
4. Properly dispose of the needle used in your previous session.
5. Sterilize the reusable parts like the grip and tube to prepare it for the next use.
6. Remember to lubricate your tattoo machine from time to time.
7. If there is some rusting happening on your tattoo machine, remove it using a 1000 grit sandpaper.
The Best Way to Use a Tattoo machine
Getting started on the actual process of tattooing is quite tricky. You should never do this blindly or think that you can wing it because these tattoo machines are quite dangerous.
But how do you actually use a tattoo machine? Here are a few of our recommended steps to best use a tattoo machine:
1. If you have a commercial tattoo machine, read the user manual first to learn how to operate the device. This is the official info about the product but if your tattoo machines aren’t manufactured in America, there’s a good chance that the manual will seem a bit off. In such cases, it’s best to look for tutorials online.
2. If you want to use a DIY tattoo machines built by someone else, it would be best to get the person who made it give you a tutorial of its operation. This way, you’ll get first-hand and accurate information about the device.
How to Tune a Tattoo machine for Lining and Shading
Tuning a tattoo machine is possibly the most important thing to learn about if you want to become a tattooist. This method will determine whether you can actually make use of your tool for your intended purpose.
The process, however, differs greatly depending on the kind of tattoo machine you have. For rotary tattoo machines which are suitable for both lining and shading, make sure you have to adjust the needle depth. Different tattoo rotary machines have various methods for adjustment, so it’s important that you get to know your device better.
Tuning coil tattoo machines can be more complicated. This is where an apprenticeship or getting a few lessons from an actual professional will come in handy.
Important Tips While Buying Tattoo Machines
As for the actual process of buying tattoo machines, here are a few of our tips that we believe can help you find your perfect match:
1. Do a lot of research. There are so many different options in the market today that you should try to at least get to know what’s available to you. Read the best starter tattoo gun kits reviews to get better acquainted with the most popular items.
2. Decide on a budget. This will help you narrow down your options. There are great picks for every price point so you don’t have to worry about your choices.
3. If you’re a new tattoo artis, consider getting the best homemade tattoo gun set. Such options will also give you the necessary attachments and accessories to get started so they’re very convenient options.
4. Consult with a professional tattooist. If you know someone who is in the trade, ask for their opinion and they might just give you a number of suggestions. You might even find someone who is willing to build one for you, according to your specifications, so look into that option as well.
5. Get to know the attachments and other accessories you’ll need as well. These add-ons can also have an impact on your tattoo experience, so look closely into them as well.